Sunday, August 26, 2012

Bear Lake Brawl 2012 (or the price I pay for ice cream)

btw Tammy wrote all of this. :)
This weekend was the Bear Lake Brawl, Gene's first open-water triathlon.  Friday afternoon we went to the beach where it would start.  Gene was pointing out how far away from the shore the ski boat was beached last weekend at youth conference - a good 50 yards from the shore, the water was only waist deep with a muddy bottom.  (I guess that means no one drowns in the first or last 50 yards of the swim.


It is so honkin' freezing cold out here!  I can't even generate any warmth by my shivering.  I must be having a nightmare.  It's bad enough we set up the bike in the transition area by flashlight, and now I get to wait about about half an hour in the freezing cold.  In case you are wondering, the little blanket didn't seem to make much difference in the cold.  One could even feel the cold from the metal picnic table bench through a wetsuit or jeans and a jacket.


Perhaps if I stare long enough at the sun, it will generate some heat.  I know it is up there somewhere.  Please, I'm begging for some warmth.

Well, that didn't work.  Can anyone find a 2x4 and hit me over the head with it?  How do I get myself in these situations?  Even the sand is freezing Tammy's feet through her socks and her crocs,  and here I am sitting in barefeet and sandals.
I've gotten up the courage to get closer to the water's edge.  (Really, the cold from the metal picnic
table has gone clear through me.)  I need to bring something warmer than a fleece blanket to the starting line even though I can't figure out how to swim wrapped up in a blanket.  I'm working on that!  It is freezing even though it kind of looks like the sun is out now.  In the distance one can see the first wave of swimmers in the water.


The red dot in the water is the 6 foot large red inflated buoy that represents the swimming start and finish  line.  Notice how far from the shore it is.  Those 50 yards between the shore and the buoy are just increased exercise time, not a reduction in the swimming yards.  One gets to run across the sand & mud to get into and out of the water, and up to the bike transition area.  About halfway through the 750 yard swim, I realized I wasn't really tired,  I could go faster, and I was going to make it.  The first reassuring thought all day.  Really, the water at the starting line was warm, much like swimming in a heated pool, but the air sure was not. ( I am the front guy running out of the Lake, not the smart guy in his jacket.)








I am hoofing it up the beach to the bikes.  Notice my anticipation!  Can't wait to get out of the wetsuit and into my shoes and socks.






Best seat in the house! The Tidy Cats bucket by the green sports flag on Tammy's flag pole.  Other athletes commented how much easier it was to find their bikes because of the flag.  I have removed the wetsuit, have on my bike shorts and running shorts, washed the sand and mud off my feet, and am putting on my socks.  It would be easier if my arms were longer and I could reach my toes.  I notice that every day when I put on my socks.




It really is a feat to tie one's shoes today.    I finally did it!       Pause for pictures.  
I spent 22 minutes swimming and  4.39 min swim to bike transition, which included running up the beach.

I just spent 40 min biking 12 miles, and look fresh as a daisy, ready to run the 5K portion of the race.  Right?  Well, now my legs kind of work like daises in a breeze, not always standing straight, but swaying a little.  I took a little longer in this transition getting my legs to go forward stretching out my hamstrings.

    


My finish line photo.  I ran the 5K in 30 min!  Now I look (and feel) like I have been through the wringer.  I even found a place to sit after cooling down.  The only thing left to do today, is get home and take a shower and nap.  I know I can do those things without any problems.




It took Tammy a couple of minutes to remember to start the timer, so the time is 2 min short.  It took me about 1hour 38 minutes to sell my soul for ice cream one more time.  :)









3 comments:

  1. Loved the blog! Did you ever find that 2 x 4?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I get a rain check on the 2x4 request?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the bucket, flag & you just rock gene. I dont even want to try a tri with you. You would cream me.......dang. good job. Xterra now!

    ReplyDelete